The mission of the American Society of Highway Engineers is to provide a forum for members and partners of the highway industry to promote a safe, efficient and sustainable transportation system through education, innovation and fellowship.
The realization of the enormous growth of the highway industry in the mid- 20th century,in particular, the inauguration and implementation of the National System of Interstate and Defense Highway Act of 1956, and the recognition that the knowledge for such a program could only be consummated by the whole-hearted and integrated efforts of all persons associated with the highway industry, led to the formation of the American Society of Highway Engineers, with the intent and determination to assume its responsibility for the development of the rapid growing demands of the highway industry.
The Society was incorporated in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1958 with the conception and inception of the first Chartered Section (Harrisburg Section) credited to a small group of dedicated engineers from the Pennsylvania Department of Highways, in association with a group of outstanding contractors, material suppliers, and consulting engineers in the Harrisburg area.
Both the National and Section Board of Directors consists of representatives of contractors, consulting engineers, government agencies, materials producers, utility companies, and other highway related agencies being duly elected Officers to serve the Society.
MEMBERSHIP (Presently 6,500+)
Being desirous of offering participation at all levels of responsibility, membership is available to everyone in the highway industry. Individuals who have practiced or are now practicing in the highway industry are welcome to become a member of our organization.
The many and diverse benefits of a mutual desire among the members to cooperatively approach and solve the common concerns that must be faced has become manifest. The direction of the Society is presented by the goals in the Strategic Plan. The spirit of professional and personal fellowship has added to the strength of all.